Friday, September 12, 2008

9-11 Plus 7 Plus 1

Thanks to those of you who have taken the time to reflect. If you can convince others to share their remembrances, please do.

Here's what I've sent to my teacher friends this morning:

The response hasn't been overwhelming but it has been interesting. For example, reading meganeb's response brought tears to my eyes. Her discription of taking the red bow off of her head (it was Hero Day and KiYi week at WHS) is a great example of simple, yet powerful writing.

When I created this project yesterday (the blog took all of 5 minutes to create) I had a thesis: School and teachers play an important and indelible role in helping young people cope with national tragedies.

What lead me to to this is my own experience in November, 1963: All I remember from that day Kennedy was shot (I was in the 3rd grade) was how my teachers reacted. And I remember it vividly even though it was 47 years ago.

Anyway, consider taking some of your precious time today to read and, even better, to respond.

No comments: