Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering 9-11 (9 Years Later)


In 2008 I asked people with connections to Watertown High School to share their memories of 9-11. Several responded and their memories were fascinating and powerful.

I am revisiting this effort and inviting people once again to share. My inspiration for this post is not just that today is the anniversary of 9-11 but because of a discussion I had in my sophomore world history class yesterday. They told me they were in the 1st grade when the attack happened. And many said they had strong memories - even though they were only 6 years old.

So, if you don't mind, will you share your memories here?

For the original comments made in 2008, go here. There are many excellent posts from many perspectives but I found Erik's comments about the Chinese response to be moving.


3 comments:

Caren Hanten said...

I remember exactly where I was a nd what I was doing on 9/11. I was at work when a friend and coworker walked by and told me a SECOND plane had hit the WTC. I was stunned, I hadn't heard about the first. I remember EXACTLY the feeling of chill that settled in my bones as we all gathered around the television in the break room and tried to get the bent coat hanger that we used as an antenna to show us pictures on the old tv, as we listened to the radio. When they fell, I left the room. My oldest child was 9 months old at the time, and I remember picking her up from daycare and hugging her too tight until she cried, unable to believe this world I had brought her into. I watched the news for months and I don't think I knew a happy moment in those months. I no longer watch the news. I still cry when I think of that day. I am crying as I write this. Dear God, please grant me the strength to not hate them, because I haven't gotten there yet.

Erin said...

I don't remember a lot about 9/11, but I do remember being in Mrs. Stiansons first grade class. The TV was in the southeast side of the room, and I just remember seeing the twin towers go down on the TV. I also remember thinking that it wasn't a big deal, because it wasn't happening to me. How selfish I was.

Jessica said...

On 9/11, I was in Mrs. Steiner's first grade classroom. A few female teachers knocked on our door, crying. Mrs. Steiner went out into the hallway, and when she came back, she had her hand over her mouth, and was crying. She ran to the television and turned it on. I remember seeing the buildings, smoke, fire, and explosions. I remember exactly where I was sitting in the classroom. I didn't know what was happening, and I don't remember anything else about 9/11.